The Affects of Mold in Your Home

Mold is more than an ugly presence in your home: It can – and has – caused asthma in many people, often children. It also can compromise the health of those with weak immune systems.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that not all mold is toxic. The most common forms of mold that appear in homes are Cladosporium, Penicillium, Aspergillus, and Alternaria.

Mold enters your home in the form of spores via open doors, windows and heating/ventilation/air conditioning systems with outdoor air intakes. Spores can also enter your home by attaching themselves to people as well as your pets, coming inside by attaching themselves to clothing, bags, pet hair, shoes, etc.

If the spores then land in places where there is considerable moisture (such as roof leaks, or leaks pipes or walls, plant pots, or during flooding), they will grow.

Individuals who have allergies may be more sensitive to mold, the CDC reports. In addition, people who have immune suppression or an underlying lung disease may be more likely to come down with a fungal infection.

How will you know if you have a mold problem? The CDC says it’s simple: You’ll more than likely see and smell a large mold infestation.

Exposure to mold does not always mean you and your family are in for some health issues. Still, if you or your loved ones are sensitive to molds, you may notice eye irritation, wheezing, nasal stuffiness, skin irritation, and so on when exposed to molds.

Some people do have severe reactions, such as fever, shortness of breath, etc.. People with a chronic lung disease such as COPD are at increased risk for fungal infections occurring in their lungs.

Still, you’ll more than likely want to get rid of the mold in your home, and that’s where Nature’s Way Pest Control’s mold removal services can help.

If you believe you have a fungal outbreak in your home, our first step will be to assess the mold situation. If we can actually see mold, we won’t have to take samples. If the mold appears “hidden,” we’ll do some sampling to ascertain if you have mold, and what type of mold species it is.

When it comes to actually removing the mold, rest assured that we never use chemicals, employing instead a dry ice blaster and baking soda to remove mold quickly from wood.

Our mold assessments are free. If you suspect there may be mold in your northeastern New York western Vermont home, just give us a call at (518) 745-5958 or contact us online.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *