Is Mold in My House Making Me Sick? 5 Signs You Need Mold Remediation

You may not be able to smell, or even see mold, but if you have persistent sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rashes that seem to lessen when you’re not a home, it may be worth getting a professional mold assessment to determine if your house has mold.

Many homeowners assume mold is a problem in older homes, but new construction actually poses a bigger threat. Modern homes are more tightly sealed for energy efficiency, which keeps the elements out, but it also traps water vapor from clothes dryers, dishwashers, and other household items inside. Combine this trapped moisture with modern building materials, like wood, drywall, wallpaper, and fabric, and you’ve got a breeding ground for mold.

Signs of Mold

Here are some common signs that you may have mold growing in your home.

Mold Spots

This might seem obvious, but small amounts of mold are often overlooked by homeowners.  The tiny black spots can actually be mistaken for dirt or soot. Plus, not all mold looks the same. It can be black, brown, gray, green, white, and sometimes orange, pink, or purple if it’s growing behind vinyl.

Musty Odor

Mold often grows in hidden places, like inside walls, under carpets, and in attics, making it hard to see. However, mold produces a variety of gasses, some of which you can smell. If you notice a musty odor in your home, you probably have mold growing somewhere inside.

Water Damage

If your home has been flooded, mold is likely to grow. Likewise, water leaks, both visible and hidden, can lead to mold. Leaky pipes behind walls and under sinks are often the source, so look for water stains or discoloration on walls and ceilings, as well as peeling, bubbling, or cracking paint and wallpaper, and warped wood under sinks.


High humidity feeds mold, so watch for signs of condensation in your home. Typically found on glass windows or metal pipes, condensation may actually lead to rusting over time. Not only does condensation signify high humidity throughout your home, but it creates a buildup of moisture for mold to grow.

Health Symptoms

If you are suffering from allergy symptoms, such as sneezing, nasal congestion, runny nose, and sore eyes – and the symptoms are worse when you are at home – it’s very possible your house has mold. Toxic mold can cause much more serious neurological symptoms, including headaches, problems concentrating, memory loss, and dizziness.

How to Get Rid Of Mold in Your House

Mold is serious business, and with the potential to be toxic, we highly recommend that homeowners hire a professional for mold remediation. If the mold in your home is not toxic and the area of mold growth is small (less than a 3×3 foot patch), then you may choose to get rid of the mold yourself. It is important to remember, however, that visual signs of mold could mean that there is a much larger mold colony hidden from view. A professional mold assessor has extensive training and special equipment to detect otherwise invisible mold.

If you suspect your house has mold, Nature’s Way Pest Control provides affordable mold assessment and mold remediation in Albany, Glens Falls, Saratoga, and other areas of Upstate NY and Western VT. Contact us for a free inspection.

Free Inspection


{ "@context": "", "@type": "ProfessionalService", "name": "Nature's Way Pest Control", "image": "", "@id": "", "url": "", "telephone": "(518) 745-5958", "address": { "@type": "PostalAddress", "streetAddress": "153 Broad Street", "addressLocality": "Glens Falls", "addressRegion": "NY", "postalCode": "12801", "addressCountry": "US" }, "geo": { "@type": "GeoCoordinates", "latitude": 43.3044985, "longitude": -73.6585647 }, "sameAs": [ "", "", "", "" ] }