Understanding mold issues, mold effects, and especially proper mold removal are of utmost importance for a healthy home.
What is Mold?
Mold is a fungus that can grow anywhere there is moisture and organic material, such as on food and plants, in soil, or inside our homes. Mold reproduces by releasing spores, which can spread through the air and water.
What Causes Mold?
Mold thrives in moist, humid, warm environments with access to a nutrient source, such as cellulose, or wood. The best temperatures for mold growth are 77 to 86 degrees F (although some mold can grow in temps as low as 32 degrees and as high as 95 degrees.) Causes of mold inside a home include plumbing, window, door, and roof leaks, poor drainage, unvented stoves, heaters, or clothes dryers, steam from cooking or showers, poor attic ventilation or insulation, and carpet on concrete.
Where Can Mold Grow Inside My Home?
Building materials, including drywall, plywood, furring strips, carpets, and carpet padding can be food for mold. Mold can grow between the base floor and any flooring material on it due to undetected humidity, and it can grow in carpets by feeding on invisible dust. Should your walls suffer water damage, mold can grow inside them and stay dormant until a second instance of high humidity, which is why mold can “suddenly” appear months or even years after a flood or water incident.
Why Does Mold Only Grow in My Home at Certain Times of the Year?
If you find that your home tends to have mold problems at certain times of the year, it may be because it is either too drafty or too airtight. In the warmer months, mold tends to grow in airtight homes because the humidity levels inside rise and the moisture has nowhere to go. During the colder months, drafty homes are more prone to mold because the warm air condenses. Humidifiers in winter can also create an environment conducive to mold growth.
How Do I Know If I Have a Mold Problem?
You will typically see or smell mold in your home. Mold growth looks like slimy or slightly fuzzy discolored patches, and has an unpleasant musty odor. If you are unable to see the mold growth but can smell it, look for signs of a moisture problem, such as water stains or warping. You may need to check underneath cabinets and carpets, behind wallpaper or walls, and in attics and crawl spaces.
Can Mold Make Me and My Family Sick?
While most molds don’t harm humans, some of the mycotoxins can be harmful. However, the most common health effects of indoor mold exposure are allergy symptoms, including sinus, eye, and throat irritation, as well as wheezing, coughing, and sneezing. People with respiratory issues, such as asthma or emphysema, and compromised immune systems, are at higher risk for irritation and can contract rare, but serious infections and illnesses from mold.
After Nature’s Way Removes the Mold, Do You Treat the Surface?
Yes! We apply natural borate to treat and protect the wood. We are one of the few companies in New York State licensed to do so. Not only is this one of our favorite natural products for mold, but it works for termite control, as well.
Can You Replace Moldy Insulation?
Yes! For attics with mold, we remove any damaged insulation, sanitize for pathogens, and install your choice of blown-in insulation, formaldehyde-free rolled batt fiberglass insulation, or termite-resistant foam insulation.
Do You Perform Mold Assessments?
Nature’s Way Pest Control is a licensed mold removal company in New York and Vermont. In accordance with state laws, we do not perform mold assessments and remediation on the same property. If you require mold removal services, Nature’s Way will direct you to an independent mold assessor who will perform your mold assessment and provide our mold remediation specialists with a copy of the mold remediation plan.
Where Do You Provide Mold Removal?
We offer mold removal and mold remediation in Upstate New York and Western Vermont. For expert mold removal and remediation in Albany, Saratoga, Lake George, and as far north as Plattsburgh NY, call (518) 886-3692. For service in Rutland, Killington, and throughout Western Vermont, call (802) 328-9131.