Signs of Anaphylaxis

Insects can be more than just simple pests: a bite or sting from one of them could cause a severe allergic reaction in you or someone you love. This extreme allergic reaction is known as anaphylaxis.

This is a very serious allergic reaction. How serious? It requires immediate hospitalization.

The causes of anaphylaxis are several. They include dairy, food (tree nuts and peanuts, fish and shellfish, eggs, latex, some medications, and the stings of insects, such as bees, wasps and even some ants.

Not everyone stung by a bee/wasp/ant will experience an anaphylaxis allergic reaction to the bite/sting. In fact, most won’t.

But the reaction is so dangerous that it’s exceedingly wise to know what the signs of anaphylaxis are. Read below.

  • An anaphylaxis reaction via insect sting or bite will present itself within minutes of being stung or bitten, although some reactions can occur as long as a half-hour after exposure (30 minutes isn’t really that long….).
  • Symptoms/reactions can include the appearance of hives and itching.
  • Flushed and pale skin (these two almost are always present when anaphylaxis strikes).
  • A weak and rapid pulse.
  • Nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea.
  • A warm feeling (not pleasant).
  • Feeling as if there’s a lump in your throat.
  • Wheezing and trouble breathing, caused by a swollen tongue and constriction of the airways.

If you or someone you know has this type of allergic reaction, call 911 immediately, even if you’re not positive it’s an anaphylaxis reaction.

If you or the victim has what are known as an EpiPen or Auvi-Q, administer it first and then call 911.

If you find a swarm or nest of wasps, bees, ants, or other stinging insects in or around your home and you know someone in your family is allergic to their bite or sting, call upon Nature’s Way Pest Control to rid your home safely of these pests. Call us at 518-745-5958 (New York residents) or 802-855-2978 (Vermont residents). You also may send us a message via our online contact form.